The Edwin O. Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies (RI) will provide small grants (up to $800) for Harvard graduate students in any field of Japanese studies in the humanities or social sciences to help defray the cost of attending scholarly conferences where they present papers or serve as panel discussants. Grant support is limited to travel, lodging, and registration fees.
Please email a complete application consisting of the following:
1. Short proposal with dates, name and description of conference, type of participation, description of your research and how it relates to this conference, title of your paper being presented and itemized budget sheet. Please designate other sources of funding for this proposal (if applicable). Indicate name of faculty advisor supporting this proposal.
2. Email endorsement from faculty advisor supporting the proposal. Advisor must email a brief endorsement directly to Catherine Glover (email@example.com). Please let her know who is the faculty she should expect a support email from.
3. Curriculum vitae – include:
• Citizenship (indicate permanent residency, if applicable)
• Current/permanent address, telephone number(s), email address(es)
• Academic department; field of study; and year of graduate study (G year).
EMAIL COMPLETED APPLICATION TO:
Catherine Glover, Program Coordinator
Conference Travel Grants
Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies
1730 Cambridge Street, Room S241
Cambridge, MA 02138
Application must be made at least one month in advance of the conference.
Due to Harvard financial policy, you will receive payment only after you return from the conference you attended. Please email the RI Conference Grant Recipient Form, a W9 form (for U.S. nationals) or the Foreign Individual Vendor Request Form (for non-U.S. nationals), in addition to, all travel receipts, to Catherine Glover. For non-U.S. nationals, after you have handed in your Foreign Individual Vendor Request Form, you will then receive an email with further instructions from firstname.lastname@example.org. Checks will be processed only after you return and by turning in the required paperwork provided to you with your award letter.
Please note: For non-U.S. national graduate students presenting at a conference in the U.S., you may incur a tax withholding, typically at 14% or 30%, on the fellowship, thereby reducing the total amount.